Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Swing This Way, Baby

Now that I'm out of the dark spell I was in, I thought I'd share one of the ways of cheering up that works for me.

Music. Absolutely works. Always has for me. Playing it loud, soft, through headphones, and even really playing either on my cello or violin.

But this time I just made a playlist of songs that were upbeat and played it to my heart's content. I even put the playlist on my iPod and every night when laying my head down to slumber, in my ears flowed the musical stylings of various artists.

Warning: (well not like a true warning, I mean there's nothing scary here and this little added statement certainly won't save you from any danger.) This playlist is all over the place as far as genres go. My taste in music is very broad and I seem to go through phases where one style appeals to me more than another. Right now Swing and Cabaret are extremely fun and get me moving, which is why there's quite a few songs on here from those particular genres, especially by Michael Bublé.

The list:

  1. Moondance - Michael Bublé ~ Absolutely can't sit still when this is on. Just love it. A fantastic cover of Van Morrison's classic.
  2. Feeling Good - Michael Bublé ~ Builds. Oh how this song builds. Wow.
  3. Have You Met Miss Jones - Robbie Williams ~ Any fans of Bridget Jones's Diary will recognize this song. "You remember Bridget - she used to run round naked in your paddling pool."
  4. Stir It up - Patti LaBelle ~ Three words: Beverly Hills Cop
  5. Mack The Knife - Robbie Williams ~ Exciting rendition of this classic! Robbie's voice coupled with the strong brass of his musicians lift this song to new heights.
  6. That's Amore - Dean Martin ~ I remember the first time I saw Cher's movie Moonstruck with my mother. We cracked up at the lyrics of this song.
  7. The One & Only - Chesney Hawkes ~ A great little 80s gem of a song about being proud to be yourself.
  8. Holding Out For A Hero - Jennifer Saunders ~ This version is from Shrek 2. Ab Fab's Jennifer Saunders blew me away.
  9. Save The Last Dance For Me - Michael Bublé ~ Makes me want to Salsa.
  10. I've Got You Under My Skin - Michael Bublé ~ When hubby and I first started dating he was going through a huge Frank Sinatra phase. He used to sing this to me all the time. Michael Bublé's take on it is fantastic.
  11. My Song - Brandi Carlile ~ An empowering song. Her voice gives me chills.
  12. This Is The Day - The The ~ "This is the day your life will surely change." Yes.
  13. Nobody's Fool - Kenny Loggins ~ That's right. From Caddyshack II.
  14. Life Is Short - Butterfly Boucher ~ 'Nuff said.
  15. Ride - Amanda Marshall ~ This is a great song, but one of the things I noticed is how many words she included that end with "-tion."
  16. Intuition - Jewel ~ Not your typical Jewel at all. But that's what makes it so great.
  17. The Beauty In Ugly - Jason Mraz ~ From Ugly Betty.
  18. Real Gone - Sheryl Crow ~ From Cars, which I've seen more times than I care to admit. This song hasn't got old for me, though the movie did a long time ago. Sheryl never disappoints.
  19. New Day - Kate Havnevik ~ I love Kate. Her breathy haunting vocals stay with you long after her music has ended.
  20. New Shoes - Paolo Nutini ~ Great beat, great lyrics. Catchy and fun.
  21. Objection (Tango) - Shakira ~ Because every once in a while you really need to shake those hips.
  22. Downfall - Matchbox Twenty ~ Rob Thomas. One of the greatest songwriters of my generation.
  23. Every You, Every Me - Placebo ~ That beat! Another song that makes it impossible for me to sit still through it.
  24. Miss Independent - Kelly Clarkson ~ Must. Dance. And sing.
  25. Birdhouse In Your Soul - They Might Be Giants ~ Flood is probably up on my top 10 favorite albums and this song is one of the best off it.
  26. Gone - Kelly Clarkson ~ I love to sing this in my car.
  27. Separate Ways - Journey ~ Oh, you gotta have a little Journey!
  28. I Am A Rock - Simon & Garfunkel ~ I remember my first real exposure to S&G. I was on my way to a state wide Orchestra festival in high school with about three of my classmates and our orchestra teacher. We listened to all kinds of music on that four hour drive and S&G was one of them. I've been hooked ever since.
  29. Happiest Girl - Depeche Mode ~ This is a dirty little song, done only how DM can do it.
  30. Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode ~ I don't know which was better; the song, or the video.
  31. Surely (I Love You) - Colin James ~ A bouncy little swingin' song.
  32. Watch Me Shine - Joanna Pacitti ~ "Girl Power" at its best.
  33. Cherry Bomb - John Cougar Mellencamp ~ A fluffy little song about being nostalgic for a simpler time.
  34. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison ~ My song. My mom used to sing this to me. A nod to all of my Brown Eyed Girl contemporaries.
Well there you have it.

What songs lift you up?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been feeling very low myself with some minor health problems, money stuff, and just feeling like we are never getting ahead. It is easy to let it overcome you.

Glad you have found peace with music. ((hugs))

Kare said...

Music is magic. Can you imagine life without it?