Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Share a Square #9













This is the Irish Ivy Rose. First time I've ever done the Bullion stitch. It was a little tricky at first, but if you just take your time, it's not that bad. Oh, and picking the loops off the hook one by one is DEFINITELY a lot easier than trying to wiggle and wedge the hook through them.

It wasn't until I had it all done and the ends woven in that I realized my ivy leafs aren't quite right. The clusters of dc and trc are supposed to be three st clustered together, not two. LOL Guess that'll teach me NOT to do these things at 10:30 at night while my eyes are drooping. ;)

Oh well, It still looks pretty and I'm not about to take it all apart to do those over. :oÞž

Mine, of course, came out a little small, so I added a rnd of hdc between the last two rnds. Oh, and did anyone else's bullion flower come out... poofy? Mine is VERY raised from the "surface" of the square. This happend in doing the 2dc clusters around it in Rnd 3. Maybe I did my bullions a little TOO loose where they didn't match my gauge for the regular stitches. Something to think about for next time... Use a smaller hook for the buillions and switch to the called-for hook for the rest.

On another note, I put a wish on the Wish Upon a Star forum on CAL Pals and Diane granted it! What a sweetheart! So now I have a pattern for a thread teddy bear named Berty. I can't wait to get started on him. He'll be so TINY! Finished size is 2 and 3/8 inches tall -- small enough to fit in your hand! I've been wanting to do one of these for a while! This will be my first real foray into thread crochet. I've done a little bit of crocheting with DMC embroidery floss and a B hook, which I liked, but I think this will be a little different. I'm going to go out today and get the supplies I need for my bear - if the weather doesn't get too bad.

Anyone have any ideas on some good soft thread to get, size #30? I'd like to make him soft or even a bit fuzzy and since I've no idea about brands and types of thread, I'd greatly welcome any suggestions or tips.

Thanks in advance! Oh, and watch back for progress! Also, I have pictures of three little somethings I'm just *itching* to show, but I still have to wait. So keep checking back for those, too!

I will show a couple of teaser pics, though:

Little thing #1 with Lion Brand VelvetSpun (I loved working with this)

















And little thing #2 with Bernat Softee Baby












And little thing #3 I can't show yet. Soon, though!!

1 comment:

aj said...

Thanks, Sue!!

I'm both excited and nervous about the bear -- those stitches will be so TINY. Ack, I'm hoping I don't end up pulling my hair out. lol

Ooooh, I think you'll like the nubby blue thing!