Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It Must Be Fall


You know how I can tell it's Fall?

a) it's getting cold
b) the leaves are starting to turn
c) my internal clock says to start watching Halloween
d) I start knitting Entrelac
e) all of the above

If you answered e, you win the booby prize!

Er, well that would be if I actually *had* a booby prize.

... Anyway ... If any of you dear readers were around last year, you already know of my obsession, er, fondness of knitting Entrelac (which is well documented here, here, here, and even here, too.) I can't help myself - it's hypnotizing in its "looks-really-hard-but-it's-really-simple" technique.

But that's neither here nor there. (Or wait, what the hell does that expression really mean? If something is, isn't it safe to assume it's somewhere, ie here or there? Hmm...)

The other day I was looking through some of my past finished objects and came across my Lady Eleanor, who appeared pretty rumpled. (I guess I'd be pretty rumpled, too, if I were folded up and stuck up on a shelf in a closet for almost a year. In fact, I'd be pretty pissed off.) So I blocked her. And laughed a little about it, too. Last year when I finished her, I'd decided not to block her because I liked the texture of the fabric. Yea, that's changed. While I still like the texture, I just thought she would look so much better (read: finished) if she was properly blocked. And she does!

What's the point of me droning about that you ask? Well, nothing really except it awoke the desire to knit entrelac again. See, Lady E is gigantic, ginormous, gihundo - in fact, she's all that and more. Not to mention dense. I'm what you would call petite, standing at 5'4". And my Lady E is, oh, maybe 7' long. (After blocking, you see. She wasn't quite that large before.) She kind of doesn't fit me anymore. And she's too thick and heavy to fold over and wear around my neck as a scarf. I mean, my neck is only so long. (To those who have made Lady Eleanor, how do you wear her?)


I had another skein of the yarn I used for my Monkey Sock Swap Pal's socks (plus two more on the way) and decided to knit a smaller and lighter weight Entrelac scarf. I'm enjoying the process just as much as last year!

This one will be almost as wide as Lady E, but no where near as thick. I'll probably stop when it hits 60" long before blocking, as I like medium to long scarves and I think I'll be able to get maybe 5 more inches when I block it.

Plus, I can double this one over and it will still fit!

Pattern: Based off of Lady Eleanor from Scarf Style
Yarn: Lana Grossa Mega Boots Stretch, color 707
Needles: Addi Turbos US 5, 32" circular
Started: September 18, 2007
Modifications: one less base triangle, 10 stitches per square


And a shot of the whole thing, so far.

____

Omgoodness, I have to mention this.

My song for the day today is
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite - Eddie Izzard, from the Across the Universe Soundtrack.

I loved The Beatles' original, but this one is just hilarious.

To quote: "... and of course, Henry the Horse is gonna do the waltz! Oh, you've gotta see it. It's genious! I mean, she's brilliant, she does this stuff... and movement, it's waltz. Horses, how do they do that stuff? You gotta give 'em sugar, you know? And she's called Henry, and it's a lot of explanation, but don't worry about it, kids, ok? Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode."

Seriously, check the song out. Eddie Izzard's commentary between the lyrics is fantastic.

3 comments:

Kare said...

Can you felt the entrelac? You felted a bag before, I remember. It was so gorgeous.

Your newest entrelac is very pretty. I still say that entralac looks hard and I'm too chicken to try it! Maybe this winter. Maybe... I'll need you on Yahoo to walk me through it. ; )
(And I have to ask, AJ, how do you find the time to knit so much?? You have 2 dogs, 2 kids, a husband, a house...I feel so inferior! If I can get 1/2 hour in on knitting lately, it's a good day.)
Thanks for letting me know about that soundtrack. I'm going to get it for my daughter. She is a huge Beatles fan.

o.m.g. Blogger does NOT want me leave a comment!!!

Kare said...

'to leave a comment'

(now I have to try it again...)

Netter said...

Hey AJ, you know, I think part of the reason I wanted to learn how to knit is because I want to learn how to make an entrelac of my very own. Sigh....I need to take some knitting classes or something. I should go to the libr on Tues evening. I heard they have a knitting circle.
Anyway, you know I have said this a million times, but your handy work is always so lovely.