Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mother of Pearl


Ok, seriously, I know I say this every time, but I'm thrilled to pieces over this yarn!

This is The Dyeing Arts Superwash Merino in the Mother of Pearl colorway, 4oz.

I spun it very thinly, then Navajo plied it to keep the stripes intact. (But boy, did I go back and forth on whether I wanted to do that, or a regular barber-pole 2-ply.)

It wasn't until I saw the full bobbin that I knew what I was going to do.

This is my first big Navajo ply project (and only the 2nd time I've done it) and I'm so pleased with how it turned out!

4 oz, 488 yds, 21 wpi.

It's so soft!

This roving was a joy to spin. It was so effortless - no issues, no nasty ends. Just very smooth fiber that was easily drafted.

I have several of their other colors in my Loopy Ewe wishlist and hope to be ordering more sometime soon.

It was also the first time I've used the fast flyer that I bought for my Lendrum over a month ago. I was nervous to try it before, but the last yarn I spun I really had to treadle hard and fast to get the kind of speed to keep up with my hands. My poor wheel was shaking with fear at me.

Well, not literally, but there was a shimmy at some points.

So I decided I'd give it a go with this. I'm so glad I did! I was able to go much faster and actually spun far more evenly and consistenly than I have before. Yay for the fast flyer!


My husband thinks I should make something other than socks with this. He said it's far too pretty to wear on my feet. I agree - this is one that I think will need to be something I wear around my neck.

Just not really sure what that might be. I'll have to go digging through Ravelry to find something!

And just so you don't think there's never any knitting going on here anymore, here are the socks I finished for my husband for Father's Day.

2 comments:

Debra said...

Man, you're navajo ply work looks fab!!!

...and, from Ravelry it looks like you've been doing a good deal of fiber stashing. I can't deny that jealousy has started to set in. :)

aj said...

Thanks so much, Debra!

Hee hee, yes, I seem to have ... er, acquired (read: hoarded) quite a bit of fiber. ;)

I just can't seem to help it!