Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Rescued Antique


Guess what I got today!

Steven and I were talking at work a while back about spinning. I told him how much I love it and how it'd be great to have a wheel.

He said that he had an antique one in the basement that I could have. Sah-weeeet!

He warned that there was a broken piece, but he said I was welcome to it. I brought it home today - it's so cool!

There are a few more pieces he said he'll look for, but for the most part, it's all here.




Look at this poor piece. :( Makes me sad.

I hope I can still find replacement parts, or at least parts of some sort that will give it new life. It's a beautiful wheel and I'd like to be able to restore it.

And I like that it's an antique. It makes me wonder who must have sat at it, what kind of beautiful yarn they made, and what they used their handspun for.

Pieces like this have so much history.







And here it is. All those pieces on the left hand side are in the wrong spots. With parts of the flyer missing, it's hard to tell where the ones I have go. I hope Steven's successful in finding the rest.

As you can tell from the top photo, it spins. It creaks, too, as if it's moaning from being woken from a long slumber.

In a way, it is.

7 comments:

Kare said...

oh you lucky girl!
You're going to have fun with that.
I hope, too, that the other pieces are found.
If only it could talk, hey, the stories!

aj said...

Thanks, Kare!!

I think I'll have fun with it, too!

And you're right about the stories!

Jaye said...

It is gorgeous, I hope you're able to restore it. If (and that is a super huge *if*) I were to ever spin, I would want a wheel like that. It's right out of a fairy tale, isn't it?

Good luck, AJ!

J

PS Sorry about your firewall vs Haloscan woes, but that was my problem too ;0)

Anonymous said...

What fun! Hope he can find those spare parts.

Lucy said...

It's beautiful just to look at!!

N. Maria said...

Beautiful photography! Oh, yeah, the spinning wheel is, too. :)

Netter said...

Good luck with that...hopefully you can get it working in no time.